Sunday, November 11, 2012

11 weeks - UTI

I think we have finally gotten a handle on the housetraining problems. Kili was doing really well during the day when I could take her out every 1-2 hours, but she was having a lot of trouble overnight. So I set her up in her long term confinement which is a large crate. In it she has a bed, toys, and a pee pad. I did that because I was getting up 2-3 times a night with her and often still finding an accident in the morning. At least with the pee pad I figured she wasn't going on her blankets. The biggest draw back was that she would sometimes play with her pee pad and then still pee on her blankets.

Long term confinement
When 11 weeks rolled around I thought "well maybe now she's old enough to hold it longer overnight" and put her back in her small crate for the overnight. Set my alarm for 2:30 and figured I'd just get up once with her. Sometimes no accident, sometimes she'd have an accident.


Finally I ran her urine and found that she has a UTI. I was honestly quite surprised because although she was having accidents she never peed small amounts, always a full voiding of her bladder. And she didn't have trouble with 1-2 hours during the day. I started her on antibiotics and the last two nights have been great. In fact, last night she woke me up at 1:45 and I took her out. I think she woke me up because she had to poop, not because she needed to pee (although she did while she was out there). I didn't get up and take her out again until 7:30 AM! Yay! I hope this solves our problems!