Thursday, October 18, 2012

Apex Agility GreyhoundS!

See what I did there? I capitalized the "s" on "greyhounds" because up until this point there has been just ONE. Well, no more. The search has ended. And it has ended with...


A landshark.

That's right, we got a puppy. Allow me to introduce Kili (as in the first two syllables of Kilimanjaro). She is 8 weeks old and is uber cute. After many months of searching for a retired racer who fit the bill I gave up and decided to wait until next year before looking again. I had the immense problem of needing to find a hound with good work drive but limited prey drive. As most of you with sighthounds can appreciate, this is not an easy combination with the breed. Most of the high drive dogs tend to be high prey. And as most of you who read my blog know, that is simply not acceptable in this household. With that in mind, Jen Bachelor (Never Say Never Greyhounds) suggested that I might consider a puppy who I could essentially train the prey drive out of (at least in the house). But where to find a puppy?

I happened to mention to a friend that I was thinking about getting a greyhound puppy but had no idea how to find one. As it turned out she knew a breeder of CKC greyhounds who worked at her vet's office as a groomer. I looked up Laurie Soutar and discovered that she does a fair bit of dog sport as well. And not just agility. So I contacted her thinking maybe somewhere down the road I could find a pup. Wouldn't it just be my luck but she currently had TWO litters of pups that were 4.5 and 5.5 weeks old and she still had some available. After discussing my needs she recommended "Domino", a white and blue brindle female out of the older litter. This past Monday I drove to meet with the puppies and hopefully bring one home. The result was my driving home with a very unimpressed Summit and a puppy.

But he has adapted. Today he played with the puppy for the first time. I think he'll like her once she gets a little bigger.





Now, I know we don't have a tonne of followers yet, but Kili does need a registered name. I would kind of like it to have a mountain theme, must start with "Lakilanni", and her breeder's dogs are all named with song lyrics but that's not required. Maximum of 30 characters including spaces and punctuation. For example, I had thought of possibly "Lakilanni Ain't No Mountain Hi".

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Congrats! So exciting and what a little cutie! :)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

OMG, so cute!!! And so precious that Summit played with her. My girls are just too rough if they do try to engage... well, Riley is the only one that has tried and I have to stop her.