Sunday, August 18, 2013

12 months - Happy birthday!

Today is Kili's first birthday! She managed to survive her first year in this world. And so did I (just barely)! It has certainly been a very interesting first year for Kili, and an eye opening 10 months for me. I still remember the very first night as she was screaming in her x-pen all night... and I thought to myself "Oh my gosh, what have I done? I can't raise a puppy!". Although at a year old, Kili is not a mature adult yet. She is starting to show SOME signs of being on her way though, and I think she is probably out of the woods as far as frustrating me into a blind rage goes (I'm exaggerating of course but she did frustrate me to tears on a few occasions). Don't get me wrong, we still have our share of frustrations that pop up, but most days I can see the great dog she is turning out to be. Most days. ;)

In honour of Kili's birthday I threw her a birthday party. Doggy birthday parties aren't exactly my thing. I'm not that crazy dog owner who treats her dogs like children. However, a friend of mine wanted a party and I figured it was a pretty big milestone. Why not? Puppy play date in my backyard on Kili's birthday is the same as a puppy play date in my backyard on not her birthday... right? I just happened to have a cake in my fridge that said "Happy 1st Birthday Kili" on it.

Charlie came all dressed up!
Charlie's shirt says "Happy Birthday Kili!"

Cake time!
Kili's not excited at all!













Kili telling Cole where to put it.
Summit telling Cole where to put it.

Everyone was tired at the end of the day.
 






I also put together this little video putting the whole first year of her life together. I had a lot of fun making it and I can imagine that 12 years from now I'm going to be really happy to have it to watch and reminisce with little old lady Kili on the couch. Hopefully she'll have calmed down by then!


Yesterday the scale read 24.6 kg (54 lbs). I am told that from this point on I can expect her to gain up to an inch in height and 10 lbs in weight.

It's been an interesting and tough 10 months. I've learned a lot as a trainer and as a person. I hope I've become better at both as a result. We've got a long way to go still but it's all slowly coming together, and that excites me!

1 comment:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

LOL Loved your video! Perfect song too! I love your brutal honesty that you won't miss all of it. Ha! Very sweet though. I think all the dirty dog pictures made me glad that Maddie is black. :-)

Wow, all grown up! We've done it... so far!