Tuesday, September 29, 2015

HART Sneakers and Strays - 5K

Concentration faces!
Kili and I recently participated (or as the back of the shirt they gave me says, "Pawticipant") in a 5K run for an animal rescue group called Humane Animal Rescue Team (HART). This is the 5th annual Sneakers and Strays event. Pawticipants can choose to do a 3K walk, 5K walk/run, 10K run, or a 21K run (dogs welcome at all except the 21K).

My boss with her Border Collie, Joon, and Kili and myself as we come into the last 400m of the race.
Kili and I have been running together for 2 years now, and have worked up to 5K multiple times (followed by falling off the wagon and having to work back up to it again and again!) but have never done a "for real" 5K. 

Early in the race - all smiles... and poop bag!
 I was super happy with how we both did. We had been training for this race for about a month, but 2 weeks before we had a big upheaval in our home life and we didn't get out to run at all. I was also not sure how Kili would fare since the entire run had to be done on leash. She typically doesn't enjoy trotting at my side for long distances and starts to lag even though she can cover the 5K easily when off leash. I can't say I blame her... I find jogging a bit monotonous and boring as a general rule!

My work team!
I was super excited to have so many of my work team come out to do the race with us! My boss ran with us the entire way, and another doctor finished 3rd in the 10K race. The rest of our team elected to walk the 5K. Fun was had by all and we raised money to help the animals! I can't wait for next year!








1 comment:

Milo and Jet said...

Sounds like great fun :) Milo & Jet