Sunday, March 03, 2013

28 weeks - Head games

If you've been reading my blog for awhile you know how important I think it is to train your dog. You have probably heard me say something about mental stimulation and exercise being the keys to successfully training a dog to be a civilized member of the household.

What exactly does mental stimulation mean? Do you have to take your dog to obedience class every day for the rest of his life? Well, I think you'd both enjoy that but there are certainly other options for those days when you're too busy or tired. Life catches up with all of us sometimes. I've had days when I get home and I'm too exhausted to drag my butt off the couch for very long. And most of us work full time so there is anywhere from 7-10 hours a day where our dogs are at home without us trying to kill time while still being good dogs.

Treat dispensing toys are probably my favourite products available for dogs. There are so many different ones in order to provide your dog with lots of variety and challenge. A staple for every dog owner is, of course, the Kong. My favourite recipes involve your dog's kibble mixed with wet dog food, peanut butter, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, apple sauce, or baby food. I freeze all my Kongs to make them last longer.

And then you get into some of the really fun ones. I've provided a video of Kili playing with a couple of favourites, but this isn't even the tip of the iceberg of her treat dispensing toys. Whenever I see a new one I buy it. Right now we probably have about 8 different toys. She gets these at all different times of the day, but I always leave 1 or 2 with her during the day when I'm at work. She's a smart cookie. Summit never did figure out the tug-a-jug but Kili has it down to an art.

Next I would really like to buy some of the Nina Ottosson toys. Dogs need to be supervised with these toys but they are great.



No comments: