Sunday, January 29, 2012

Greyhound fun run!

It has been a very busy couple of weeks here and I'm afraid both the blog and the dog have been neglected a bit. Moreso the blog. But poor Summit... it's dark when I get up in the morning to walk him, and it's dark by the time I get home. Despite our lack of cold and snow this winter, we certainly haven't seen any difference in the lack of light. And it's just not nearly as pleasant to take a long walk when it's dark out. The dog is hyper alert to every sound (I don't think he sees very well at night) and I'm a little more on alert being a young woman out in the dark... even if it is only 8PM. And I can't let him out to run in the backyard when it's so dark because there are just too many things to run into (bench, trees, and right now my landlord has the sides of backyard hockey rink set up waiting for the cold weather). He's pretty relaxed, but even he needs to stretch his legs now and again.

So thankfully this weekend I finally wasn't on call! Every weekend there's a gathering of greyhounds at a fenced in baseball diamond one city over. We haven't made it out in quite a few weeks because of my schedule, but yesterday we finally did. It used to be just a few people who would get together with no more than 6 or 7 greyhounds total. I didn't even bother counting yesterday, there were SO many. I feel fortunate that Summit is a little more independent and tends to stay out of the pack dynamics. 15 greyhounds running in a pack makes me a little nervous, even if they do all have muzzles on. But Summit is my good boy. He gets a bit of a run in with the group and then comes back to see me or off to sniff all the interesting smells.


Of course whenever I had the camera out they weren't doing anything, and as soon as I put it away they would start running. Figures. The first bit of the clip is a good one of Summit getting some running in, the second shows you just how many dogs there were (and there were probably a few others milling around with the people out of the picture), and the last clip... well, might I just boast a bit and say "my greyhound has recall!". ;)

2 comments:

Angela J. said...

Looks like they were all having fun! I would still be a little nervous too, being a bit of an overprotective mum. Awesome recall, especially with so much to distract him. You should be proud!!!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm not a fan of winter hours either. I'm lucky that I get to work from 6 AM to 3 PM... so it buys me some afternoon daylight.