Saturday, November 09, 2013

Summit has 2 left feet

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am thinking of doing some heelwork with Summit, better known as dog "dancing". It's been a lot of fun and is very informal. I really don't have the first clue about teaching the maneuvers, but that's half the fun. I have recently discovered, however, that Summit may have two left feet! I love his enthusiasm though. Sometimes the enthusiasm is a little problematic as he just bounces all over the place. But how can you not LOVE his springy, puppyish antics? He's so serious most of the time that it's absolutely darling to see him cut loose. Right now we've mostly just been working on weaving through my legs. I am JUST barely tall enough for him to pass under, but he needs to learn to twist his very long body so as not to trip me all the time!


And a few sessions later this is where we're at. I have mostly faded the food lure out and am just using my hand as the lure then rewarding when he performs correctly. Sometimes I need to remind him as he sort of forgets what we're trying to do. Summit definitely does not pick up on things quickly like Kili does. However, he is far more handler focused and he stays with me longer.

No comments: