Sunday, October 18, 2020

Glimmer (Dreamwindz Catching Fire)

We are very excited to introduce our newest agility greyhound, Glimmer!

This was a bit of a surprise addition for us! I was supposed to get a Kenna sister in the early summer, but sadly there was only 1 female in the litter. Then there was a possibility later in the summer of getting a puppy from one of Kenna's sisters, but sadly she didn't get pregnant. I figured that was the end of my puppy aspirations for 2020, when out of the blue a puppy became available from a litter just down the road from us (well, 2 hours down the highway) belonging to a friend. And in keeping it all in the family, Glimmer's mother is Kili's full littermate sister. That makes Glimmer a full niece to Kili, and a half cousin to Kenna (who is a half niece to Kili). Confused yet? I know I am!

Glimmer arrived home on Tuesday (about 4 days ago) and it has been a whirlwind remembering how to raise a puppy again! 4.5 years is a long time to remember everything! She had a really good drive home sleeping in my arms, and was great her first night in the crate... so I thought that was going to go swimmingly. Turns out not so much... we have work to do on crating and separation! But that's alright, she'll get there. Every puppy has her own unique challenges.

So far I'm loving playing little puppy games again! Puppy training is honestly the most fun for me. I just find it so rewarding watching the lights go on. And all the behaviours are really quite simple, there's no fancy training or much troubleshooting, it's just good training fundamentals! She's proving so far to be a really human oriented puppy, which is great for an agility dog, so I'm going to foster that as much as possible while still trying to work on her independence.

We took a little step away from the mountain themed names since her breeder had a litter theme of "The Hunger Games" and each puppy's registered name was a book title from the series. I asked for "Catching Fire" and named her after the District 1 female tribute from the first book, Glimmer. I thought it was a cute name, and it kind of matches with her registered name too. Plus now all her stuff will be red and orange and fire themed!

I can't wait to watch this little nugget blossom! Be prepared for lots of blog updates for the next little bit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She's a cutie. Wasn't Killi a Roman X Rhapsody breeding? If so, then Killi is a sister to my Augie